Sunday, January 8, 2012

Here you go folks, Enjoy my brain-vomit.

I opted to post this article about hot chocolate because it demonstrates food's (other things can too of course) ability to transcend history and meaning. To most people hot chocolate is just that, hot chocolate. For me, when I see hot chocolate I can't help but associate it with the Aztecs and the Mayans; and now we find out that it's even older than THAT? I may never be able to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate without thinking about Spanish imperialism and the Latin American history class that I took as a junior in high school.
Can Food and Travel think of some other kinds of food items that might transcend their normal Platonic existance of just "food"? I'll throw you guys (and gals) a couple of ideas to get the juices flowing.
Turkey. Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without it. My family also makes a Christmas turkey and an Easter turkey. Another interesting fact is that Ben Franklin suggested that we adopt the turkey as the national bird instead of the Bald Eagle.
Necco. For me at least. These incredibly popular Sweet Tart-ish candies were a favorite amongst GI's during WW2 because they never went bad since they were made more or less of totally synthetic ingredients.
Wine and the Wafer. If you need an explanation then I suggest you repeat high school.
Omelette's. I can't even cook my own with comparing it to Robert's. Nuff said.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of what we seem to be talking about is food in direct connection with specific memorable experiences--be it family members or just a truly awful batch of green casserole. Makes me think of Carl Jung and group memories/ archetypes.

    ReplyDelete