Thursday, February 9, 2012

Food and Gender

Fellow men, and no less importantly, fellow women, I pose a question to you, what kind of foods are manly, and what kind of foods are womanly? Hamburgers? no, I've seen plenty of gals eat hamburgers. Not hamburgers then. Soy? I eat a ton of soy, but I don't think it'd qualify as manly. My mom loves soy, so does my stepmom, and my dad, and my grandma. I don't think it's manly. Real Men don't eat Quiche?...Are you kidding? I love quiche and I've never even considered it to be off limits. I guess the point is, I have no idea what it is to have gendered food. I'd love some feedback from you guys on what kinds foods you think are gendered.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, interesting question. It's hard to think of some examples of purely gendered foods. We've talked about red meat being manly-- I could see how this might be, but I also agree that girls eat red meat all the time. I think it is a lot easier to name gendered drinks than foods; an apple martini is a "girly drink" while beer is generally considered to be more "manly."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think JD from Scrubs would argue that an apple martini can be a manly drink too. This is an interesting question and I would argue that no foods are truly "manly" or "girly." Stereotypes formed in society may force us to believe that some foods are, but there will always be people who eat outside of those stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting indeed! I like your comment, Kira!
    I guess the question becomes : Why do we have gendered drink but apparently no gendered food?

    ReplyDelete